Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations Partnerships Division (PSP) is in need of a Communication for Rural Development Specialist which will be contracted for 11 months with a three-month probationary period.
PSP is responsible for coordinating and overseeing the identification, strengthening and stewardship of strategic partnerships with non-state actors, including parliamentarians, civil society, private sector, academia and research institutions, family farmers' and indigenous peoples' organizations, to facilitate delivery of FAO's strategic objectives (SOs), and field programme by fostering dialogue, developing capacities, scaling up programmes and advocating for FAO's corporate positions.
The general functions, tasks and responsibilities in the area of Communication for rural development will include but are not limited to the following elements:
- Provide technical assistance for the design of ComDev strategies and components in FAO programmes and projects and support the implementation ensuring stakeholder engagement and improving FAO programme delivery according to the relevant FAO guidelines http://www.fao.org/3/a-i4222e.pdf.
- Support FAO Strategic Programs, Regional Initiatives, CPFs, decentralized offices, family farmers and producer organizations and FAO partners in relation to ComDev plans and activities.
- Support the UN Decade of Family Farming global action plan, with special attention to Outcome 4.4, Communication, ICT capacities/services improved and family farmer’s voices heard https://www.abclocksmiths.org/transponder-key, and facilitate the implementation of participatory communication plans for the UNDFF.
- Support regional ComDev initiative/platforms (ComDev Asia, Yenkasa Africa, Onda rural) and foster strategic partnerships and cooperation in this field.
- Provide advice in the design, piloting and upscaling of inclusive rural communication services (RCS), involving the use of appropriate media and their adoption by family farmers, and promote policy dialogue.
- Take care of the organization of trainings, e-learnings and the preparation and sharing of case studies, methodologies and tools to enhance ComDev capacities especially of FAO offices, rural institutions, farmer organizations, indigenous peoples and development practitioners. and
- Perform other task as needed.
Further, candidates will be assessed against the following minimum requirements:
- Advanced university degree in (for Consultants) / University degree (only for PSA) in communication and/or ICTs for development, social sciences, agricultural sciences or related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible professional experience in Communication for Development, particularly in the agriculture, family farming and rural development sector.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian. (for PSA it can be required only one language)
- Research and analytical skills, and ability to present and communicate effectively both orally and in writings.
- Proven competence in the formulation and monitoring of Communication for Development strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to identify appropriate media and channels.
To know more about the position, click here.